Wrapping Up 2018
MADD Nebraska Top Moments of 2018
As we gear up for 2019 we would like to take a moment to look back at what we have accomplished throughout the past year. Here a few of the highlights.
- We Honored. Each year we honor our MADD Heroes and as much as we hate to compare the events year to year, we have to say 2018 was one of the best. Each year we are amazed at the caliber of nominations that come in and each year our committee is passionate about selecting the best of the best to honor. This year we honored 31 amazing heroes that have worked throughout the year to enforce and reduce impaired driving and underage drinking in our state. Our speaker this year was also incredible, Steven Benevensti, a MADD National Board member shared his story and made a huge impact on our audience. It was an incredible day being able to say thank you to those who are so rarely thanked and to celebrate with family and friends the men and women who are our MADD Heroes.
- We Walked. Walk Like MADD/MADD Dash 5k was held on October 21st and was amazing. The turnout was incredible with our victim teams leading the way. The team fundraising made it possible for us to meet our fundraising goal of $10,000. Thanks to the hard work of the amazing people who attended the MADD mission will be supported in the next year. We also couldn’t have done it without the support of our incredible sponsors HyVee, AA Nebraska, Lincoln Industries, Madonna, Union Bank & Trust, Bryant Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning, and Casey’s General Stores. The event was made by the amazing food provided by Team Brew & ‘Cue and the Nebraska Grocery Industry Association. We can’t wait to join with everyone and walk again in 2019.
- We Grew. We will only reach a future with No More Victims by growing and 2018 allowed us to continue to grow. We were able to train new Power of Parents and Power of Youth facilitators across the state. New volunteers came on board to support our victim impact panel and court monitoring programs. Each person who joins us in support of the MADD mission is changing our state. MADD Nebraska is our volunteers and supporters and knowing we grew in numbers throughout the year, means we made a difference in our world.
- We Shared. Thousands of teens had the chance to hear the empowering message shared in Power of Youth. Many, many, many more had the chance to hear from victim speakers at mock crash events across the state. Our Power of Parents and Power Of Youth programs continued to thrive throughout 2018. We trained more facilitators across the state, even accredited the program for nurses so they could share the message of these programs.
- We Went Online. Victim Impact Panels were opened online for the first time ever. We were so excited to be chosen as a pilot state for the programs first venture online. We know that by adding this we are able to share MADD’s lifesaving message with people who have trouble making it to an in-person panel. The panels are specifically for those more than 65 miles from a panel. We know that an in-person panel is always the first choice, but we also are realistic we know that is not always possible. We are so excited that the online panel will allow so many more people to learn about the true cost of a DUI.
- We Served. Victim Services is always at the heart of what we do here at MADD Nebraska and 2018 was no different. We spent the year working with families as they lived in the aftermath of death. Together we walked through court dates and sentencings, appeals and paroles. Victim services are one of the most important things we do here at MADD Nebraska and we are honored every time a family allows us to journey through with them. We look forward to serving more families and re-connecting with others throughout the next year.
- We Said Goodbye. We were sad to say goodbye to part of our team this year, MADD employee Amanda Miller as she moved to Missouri at the end of 2018. While we are so sad to say goodbye to a friend as she goes on a new adventure, we know she will stay in touch and we are so excited to welcome a new employee who will be passionate about the MADD mission and help us accomplish new things.
And we couldn’t have done any of it without you. Thank you all for sharing another great year with MADD Nebraska. We can’t wait to see what we can all do together in 2019!